Friday 17 January 2014

THE NEXT BIG THANG: FILM MAKER...EBUKA NJOKU


AWARD WINNER, EBUKA NJOKU IS OUR FEATURE FOR TODAY'S, THE NEXT BIG THANG. AN UPCOMING FILM MAKER AND SCRIPT WRITER, EBUKA NJOKU HAS OVER THE YEARS, BECOME A PROFESSIONAL IN HIS TRADE. A YOUNG MAN WHO HAS A PASSION FOR THE FILM INDUSTRY, OPENS UP ABOUT HIS BACKGROUND,LOVE FOR FILM AND HIS LATEST PROJECT...

Ebuka with award winning Author, Chimamanda Adichie


Who is Ebuka Njoku?

MEN: Hmmm... Ebuka Njoku is a 21 year old Nigerian film-maker...


Tell us a bit about your background

MEN: I was born in Nkanu , grew up in Awka, had my university education in UNN. i started writing at age 1, and over the years, I've tried my hands on different genres of literature but once I tried drama, I had the inkling that that's my spot. A friend of mine saw one of my short plays and talked me into writing a screenplay. It was scary but I did it all the same. The reception was good so I kept doing it. But then I had a problem with the way my works were interpreted. So I decided to take the challenge of putting my screenplays to the screen. And then, I discovered the game is a tough war but I'm ready to win...




RAINDROPS,one of your first major projects won the AMAKA IGWE BOBTV prize 2012...what inspired it?

MEN: In Dec 2011, there was the news of a girl gang raped when she visited her '2go' (a social network)friend. I happened to see the video and I ws left speechless at the view. I promised myself I was going to write about that. When I got back to school, I heard of the BOB tv film festival. So i wrote the rape story as the news was still fresh in most Eastern higher institutions. I did, and the script was accepted in the department.(link to raindrops...http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8pIWim5fks4&gl=NG&hl=en&guid=&client=mv-google)
EBUKA with short black boy...M.I

What went through your mind when the 'short film' was announced as the best?

MEN: Candidly speaking, after watching the other movies submitted for the award, I knew prior to the announcement that our film would win. Somthe announcement was just a confirmation of my anticipation.


What was the experience like on set?

MEN: Hmmm... Ambivalent! I was excited seeing my work being lifted from the paper, but afraid it wasn't turning out as I imagined but then, the director had his concept and there were certain challenges on set. But it turned out a piece I'm proud of...




Your Short film 15 minutes was recently nominated in the recently concluded NMA awards 2013...how did you pull up such a feat?

MEN: Nollywood Movies Awards and then in Short Int'l Film Festival. Would I call that a feat? While making 15 Minutes, I thought it would go beyond getting a few nominations. So, I won't say the turn out was impressive.(watch 15minutes here...http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IPLKjxwtROU&hl=en&guid=&client=mv-google&gl=NG)




What's your latest project or are you currently working on one now?

MEN: Well, I made a short film; LIGHTER|matches in November, the trailer is out on the internet. I'm currently working on the script for my first feature...(link to LIGHTER|matches  http://bit.ly/1cjfMf8)
Ebuka with figurine/phoneswap script writer...kemi Adesoye

What inspires you?

MEN: Lots of things but mostly, true life events. Raindrops was inspired by a video clip I saw, 15 Minutes was inspired by a lecturer I know, LIGHTER|matches was inspired by a girl I saw smoking at a bar in Lagos. Bola's Dirge (A script that won me Homevida Integrity Film Award) was inspired by a pregnant girl on my street, and the script I'm currently on is inspired by a suicide incident in UNN... When the inspiration comes, I just make some research and create my story.


Nollywood recently celebrated her 20th birthday...so far,how would you rate her and any alteration?

MEN: People doubt it when I say 'I grew up watching Nollywood movies', because I don't make the average Nollywood kind of Nollywood. Many good Nigerian film makers find it hard defending the kind of movie they make. But the fact is, Nollywood is ours and the least we should do is take care of her. Just like our educational system, our science and technology sector, our military, aviation and every other sector in Nigeria, Nollywood has some issues. We churn out many movies every year most of which intelligent Nigerians can't enjoy because of there quality. But shall we keep complaining when great actions can speak louder? Unlike most people, I don't believe finance is the major issue, lack of good heads is. All I do is study and practice what I study. And whenever I have a project at hand, I try to make the best out of the limited fund I source. I believe if we all can try do that, in no distant time, we'll bench Hollywood in terms of quality production.


Education or chasing dreams
Which should come first?

MEN: If by education, you mean schooling, I'd say the school system is scam, not just in Nigeria,but all over d world
On set...


In other words...

MEN: But if by education you mean any kind of education, the one you do sitting on your desk reading or going about asking questions and trying out new things,
I'd say, what are dreams without funds, and what is the greatest fund our dreams need if not education. In other words, if your schooling doesn't push you closer to your dreams, forget schooling and educate yourself.


Final words to aspiring film makers?

Train your head to follow your heart and train your heart to feed your head. Every good thing we enjoy in the world today was made by someone or some people. The greatest thing you owe to any good thing you use in your life, is to do something better before you die. No matter what you're going through, some people have made it through worse scenarios. So don't call yourself less privileged and don't make excuses for anything because, nothing is impossible and like my friend Asikey sings 'You're bigger than what you think you are' ... Dalu rinne...

6 comments:

  1. Kudos to you Lucy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved to be featured on this segment...

    ReplyDelete
  3. EBUKA THE FILM MAKER. THE GUY DEY TRY SHA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thumbs up Ebuka. Didn't know he has gone this far

    ReplyDelete
  5. ebuka is an inspiration.... i enjoy working with him.... kalu nnamdi

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice job u're doing lucy though i'm missing ur acting skills

    ReplyDelete